Wednesday, June 23, 2010

I Miss My Mom, Too!

What a terrific helpmate Dad had--and what an awesome mother we kids had. She was perfect for us . . . always an encourager, always our biggest fan. I think I was in my thirties before it ever occurred to me there was something I couldn't do. Now that's something, isn't it?

I wish I could say I'd done as well with my daughters. But this isn't about me; it's about Glennice Rae Chinn Surface. She was beautiful in our eyes, both inside and out. Never heard her raise her voice. Never saw her truly angry. Never saw her in despair. Well, almost never . . . .

Her final months on earth might have ripped the heart out of most people, but she took the pain and the disappointments in stride. It's not that she was unaware. She chose to smile despite her pain, she chose to love despite disappointment. Only once during that time did I see a cloud of disillusionment cover her sun. And then it was gone. She won the fight against gloom and doom, just as she always had.

Mom lives on in my heart and also in heaven as one of the cloud of witnesses cheering on the saints. But I envision her smiling in the front row, next to Jesus and my Dad.

"Therefore, we also, since we are surrounded 
by so great a cloud of witnesses,
let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which so easily ensnares us,
and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us,
looking unto Jesus,
the author and finisher of our faith,
who for the joy that was set before Him, 
endured the cross,
despising the shame,
and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God."
~ Hebrews 12:1-3


No comments:

Post a Comment