Tuesday, April 27, 2010

You Can't Hurry Love--or Anything Worth Having!

Years ago the Supremes, a popular singing group, had a hit with You Can't Hurry Love. The words are true. You can't hurry love--it has to grow naturally between individuals who want to get to know one another at a deeper level.

And isn't that true of anything worth having?

As a new believer, I wanted my prayers to sing with truth and maturity like those of the old-timers, the ones who had walked with God for years. I recall the day one dear saint sang "The longer I serve Him, the sweeter He grows." He spoke of a relationship that had taken years to build.  

Over time, as I've yielded more of my heart to God, He has faithfully shown me more of Himself. A relationship that began with a mustard seed of faith has grown into a mature shrub, by God's grace.

You can't hurry love--or anything worth having.

They say it takes ten thousand hours to become proficient at a new skill. That's five years of full-time work! So whatever you're striving to do, whether it's quilting, writing, caring for your children, or learning to pray, don't be discouraged if you haven't mastered it in ten minutes. And whatever you do, do it all for the glory of the One who gives you the ability in the first place.

No comments:

Post a Comment