Thursday, November 12, 2009

A String of Selah Pearls - Psalm 77:9





Positioned gracefully across the Book of Psalms is a string of seventy-one pearls, lovely beads of wisdom followed by the admonition SELAH which means, “Pause, think on these things, meditate.”   



Psalm 77:9  
“Has God forgotten to be merciful?  Has he in anger withheld his compassion? Selah”

Meditation


This sounds familiar!

How like me to judge you, God, according to my own past performance.  Because I may have withheld loving compassion for reasons too numerous to mention, I suspect that of you.

But you are not like me.  Your ways are not my ways.  Far from basing your love on my performance, your love is unconditional, your faithfulness unfailing.

You cherish your creation, so much so that you sent your only Son to suffer and die in payment for our sins. You crucified your own flesh and blood and, in Jesus, you freely give us all things—no strings attached!

If you would do that, how could I ever question your constant goodwill and love toward me?  Help me to be still . . . and wait for your perfect plan to unfold.

SELAH

Look up: Psalm 18:25-26; Isaiah 55:8-9; Ephesians 2:8-9;
John 3:16; Romans 5:10-11; Psalm 46:10

No comments:

Post a Comment