Wednesday, November 11, 2009

A String of Selah Pearls - Psalm 77:1-3

Positioned gracefully across the Book of Psalms is a string of seventy-one pearls, lovely beads of wisdom followed by the admonition SELAH which means, “Pause, think on these things, meditate.”   

Psalm 77:1-3 “I cried out to God for help; I cried out to God to hear me.  When I was in distress, I sought the Lord; at night I stretched out untiring hands and my soul refused to be comforted.  I remembered you, O God, and I groaned; I mused, and my spirit grew faint.  Selah.”


Meditation:


Help!  I’m at the end of my rope!  I’ve called and I’ve called; and you, God, haven’t answered me.  Are you ignoring  my cries, my distress, my pleading?  What am I to do?  What will it take for you to notice me?

Silence.

Then I remember the God of my past, the faithful Father who has picked me up, dusted me off, set me on a straight course, and let me go . . . teaching me to walk!

I veer, stumble, even fall at times.  But caring parent that you are, you wait, knowing I must learn to walk on my own.  You’re there, ready to come to my aid, should I really need it. You've proven your love for me time and again.

Groan.  What a whiner!  Thank you for continuing the tedious job of growing me up.  Do you think I’ll ever be ready to run?

SELAH

Look up: Hebrews 13:5; Isaiah 66:12-14

No comments:

Post a Comment