Monday, March 15, 2010

The Promise of Undying Love

I've read Romans 8:38-39 dozens of times without having grasped the significance of the promise that nothing, NOTHING, NOT EVEN LIFE OR DEATH, can separate the believer from God's love in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Let's unpack this truth.

Q. My life can sometimes be a mess. Will this separate me from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus our Lord?
A. No. In Christ, there is no condemnation (Romans 8:1).

Q. Christ lived a sinless life. Can the fact that he was so different from me separate me from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord?
A. No. In fact, it was His sinless life that made Him the perfect sacrifice--the Lamb of God--offered for the sins of the whole world (II Corinthians 5:21).

Q. When I die, my body will be placed in a grave and buried six feet under, separated from all my family and friends. Will I also be separated from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord?
A. No. My spirit, the part of me that was created to live forever, will be instantly with the Lord (II Corinthians 5:8).

Q. Christ died. He, was crucified, dead, and buried. Placed in a tomb. How could He love me then?
A. His spirit never died. He continued to love the world with an undying love. He, along with the Father and Holy Spirit, is committed to saving "to the uttermost" those who come to God through Him, because He always lives to intercede for them (Hebrews 7:25).

God has purposed to extend unmerited favor, undying love, to the sons and daughters of Adam and Eve (Romans 6:18). He promised them that in the Garden of Eden and the truth plays out through each generation. As recipients of that love, let us praise Him together for His amazing grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment