Thursday, December 3, 2009

A String of Selah Pearls - Psalm 89:48

Positioned gracefully across the Book of Psalms is a string of seventy-one pearls, lovely beads of wisdom followed by the admonition SELAH which means, “Pause, think on these things, meditate.”   

Psalm 89:48 “What man can live and not see death, or save himself from the power of the grave?  Selah.”

Meditation


I don’t have any difficulty answering this fundamental question:  I will die and I cannot save myself from the power of the grave. This is not a painful admission since I have reason to believe that life continues after death. 

While I haven’t had a personal, first-hand experience of dying and living beyond the grave, someone I trust has.  It’s his story that I believe.  It’s in Christ that I have faith.  He saved himself and he will save me.  So, what’s the problem?

To die and go to heaven sounds like a far better deal than to stay here and suffer the inequities of life on earth.  It’s simply a matter of time . . . God’s timing, not mine. 

SELAH

Look up: Mark 16:12-14; Luke 24; Acts 1:3-9; Philippians 1:21



No comments:

Post a Comment