Friday, December 4, 2009

A String of Selah Pearls - Psalm 140:1-3

Positioned gracefully across the Book of Psalms is a string of seventy-one pearls, lovely beads of wisdom followed by the admonition SELAH which means, “Pause, think on these things, meditate.”   



Psalm 140:1-3 “Rescue me, O LORD, from evil men; protect me from men of violence, who devise evil plans in their hearts and stir up war every day.  They make their tongues as sharp as a serpent’s; the poison of vipers is on their lips.  Selah.”

Meditation


Under siege again! 

I need to remember that David was a man of war and in constant danger from those who would usurp his throne. 

I don’t have a throne.  But I do experience attacks from an unseen enemy trying to usurp God’s throne in my heart.  With his serpent tongue, he challenges God’s subject, “Did God really say that?  Is God really good to you?  Is he trustworthy in all your problems?  Why do you turn to him?  Why don’t you choose my way?  Why not see how pleasurable sin is?” 

The poison of vipers is whispered daily in the ears of believers, tempting us to betray our King. 

As God’s people, all of us are under siege—again, and again!


SELAH

Look up: Genesis 3:1-7; Ephesians 6:11-12; I Peter 5:8

No comments:

Post a Comment