Thursday, October 22, 2009

A String of Selah Pearls - Psalm 59:12-13

Positioned gracefully across the Book of Psalms is a string of seventy-one pearls, lovely beads of wisdom followed by the admonition SELAH which means, “Pause, think on these things, meditate.” 


Psalm 59:12-13 “For the sins of their mouths, for the words of their lips, let them be caught in their pride.  For the curses and lies they utter, consume them in wrath, consume them till they are no more.  Then it will be known to the ends of the earth that God rules over Jacob.  Selah.”

Meditation

In scripture we read that God hates lying tongues, false witnesses, proud looks and haughty eyes. Such things betray a prideful heart, a spirit of rebellion against God. Those who were out to kill David were certainly rebelling against God in his choice of David as Israel’s future king.

What about me?  I may not have stood in the way of someone being crowned king, but have I stood in the way of someone receiving deserved honor or recognition? 
Have I been unkind to the new pastor . . . or his wife? 
Have I been dismissive to the Sunday School teacher, my boss at work, the policeman on the corner? 
Have I dishonored my parents?  My children?
Have I neglected to pray for those in authority over me?
Have I done any of those things?  If so, I need to acknowledge that I, too, have been guilty of disobedience and rebellion against God. 

SELAH

Look up: I Kings 11:4; 14:8; Proverbs 6:16-19; I Thessalonians 5:12-13; Exodus 20:12; Philippians 2:4; I Timothy 1:1-2


No comments:

Post a Comment