Saturday, October 17, 2009

A String of Selah Pearls - Psalm 55:16-19

Positioned gracefully across the Book of Psalms is a string of seventy-one pearls, lovely beads of wisdom followed by the admonition SELAH which means, “Pause, think on these things, meditate.”


Psalm 55:16-19 “But I call to God, and the LORD saves me. Evening, morning and noon I cry out in distress, and he hears my voice. He ransoms me unharmed from the battle waged against me, even though many oppose me. God, who is enthroned forever, will hear them and afflict them . . . Selah.”


Meditation


In the greater context, this psalm is talking about the treachery of false friends. What hurts more than being betrayed by someone we trust, someone we love, someone we thought loved us?


Maybe you have known that pain. If so, then you also know that recurring grief strikes without warning, evening, morning and noon. Evenings may be the worst, when the busyness of the day has gone to bed, leaving you all alone to face the twin enemies of the soul, bitterness and anger.


This pearl shows us we can cry out morning, noon and night, and God will

  • come to our defense,
  • pluck us out of the battle,
  • ransom us unharmed, and
  • take care of our enemies.

Now there’s a Friend! A true friend! If God is for us, who can be against us?


SELAH


Look up: Romans 8:31

No comments:

Post a Comment