Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Hopelessly Devoted to You

Do you remember Olivia Newton John's popular song, Hopelessly Devoted to You (more recently recorded by Taylor Swift)? The song tells of a failed human love, and the chorus goes like this:

"But now there's nowhere to hide since you pushed my love aside
I'm out of my head hopelessly devoted to you."

Most, if not all of us, have experienced the heartbreak of a lost love. That's the bad news! The good news is that there's a love that will stay true to the end.

Jesus is hopelessly devoted to us! 

Sent by his father to redeem the world, he will not turn anyone away who comes to him in love--anyone who comes with a repentant heart. And, even when we mess up, he forgives and welcomes us back into his good and loving arms. For it's the kindness of God that leads to repentance.

Furthermore, there's nowhere to hide from his love.

"Where can I flee from your presence?
If I go up to the heavens, you are there;
if I make my bed in the depths, you are there.
If I rise on the wings of the dawn,
if I settle on the far side of the sea,
even there your hand will guide me,
your right hand will hold me fast."
~Psalm 139:7-10

If you've experienced the loss of fickle human love, there's no better news than the constancy of God's love for you.


No comments:

Post a Comment