Saturday, May 8, 2010

Be Still, My Soul

In fiction, the hero takes a journey, often perilous, that will cause him to change in some significant way. Will his adventures make him stronger, wiser, and more competent--or will he fold under the weight of his trial? That all depends upon the author of his book.


Sometimes the child of God feels discouraged, fearing he'll fold under the weight of his trials. But we need never be afraid, for we have the Author's promise that he will help us.

"So do not fear, for I am with you;
do not be dismayed, for I am your God.
I will strengthen you and help you;
I will uphold you with my righteous right hand."
~Isaiah 41:10

Our Author-Creator will sometimes lead us to green pastures and quiet waters. At other times He will lead us through the valley of the shadow of death. But always He guides us in paths of righteousness. And always always He is with us.

So when you are afraid, remember these words from the old hymn, Be Still, My Soul*:

Be still my soul: the Lord is on thy side; 
Bear patiently the cross of grief or pain. 
Leave to thy God to order and provide; 
in every change He faithful will remain. 
Be still, my soul: thy best, thy heavenly Friend
Thru' thorny ways leads to a joyful end.

God is our Friend, He is on our side, and He will guide us to a joyful end.

* Text: Katharina von Schlegel, 1752; trans. by Jane Borthwick, 1855 (Ps. 46:10)
Music: Jean Sibelius, 1899

No comments:

Post a Comment