Tuesday, April 20, 2010

For the Weary and Burdened

Are you weary and burdened? Jesus promised rest for you.

"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened,
and I will give you rest.
Take my yoke upon you and learn from me,
for I am gentle and humble in heart,
and you will find rest for your souls."
~Matthew 11:28-29
He will give you rest--just what you need. (He always gives us what we need.) And He will give you something else. Note the second section of the verse:

"Take my yoke upon you and learn from me,"

Learn what? What will He teach the weary? How to carry a yoke? Yes, that's part of it. But He wants to teach us something else:

"For I am gentle and humble in heart,"

He wants us to learn gentleness and humility. That's good . . . but why, specifically? In order that we'll come alongside others in the right way. The apostle Paul learned this. Consider what he said to do when a brother was caught in a sin.

"You who are spiritual should restore him gently [with gentleness].
But watch yourself [be humble] or you also may be tempted.
Carry each others' burdens,
and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ."
Galatians 6:1-2

Jesus wants to teach us to ease each others' burdens . . . and to do so in a gentle and humble way. We get to be His hands and feet as His Spirit dwells within us.

Can you think of a time when someone eased your burden? Was he heaven sent? Or did he make you feel like a hopeless failure in need of a handout?


No comments:

Post a Comment