Monday, October 26, 2009

A String of Selah Pearls - Psalm 62:1-4


Positioned gracefully across the Book of Psalms is a string of seventy-one pearls, lovely beads of wisdom followed by the admonition SELAH which means, “Pause, think on these things, meditate.” 

Psalm 62: 1-4 “My soul finds rest in God alone; my salvation comes from him.  He alone is my rock and my salvation; he is my fortress, I will never be shaken.  How long will you assault a man? Would all of you throw him down—this leaning wall, this tottering fence?  They fully intend to topple him from his lofty place; they take delight in lies.  With their mouths they bless, but in their hearts they curse.  Selah.”

Meditation


Look at me.  See me for what I am, a tottering fence, a leaning wall.  No strength of my own.  Weak.  An enemy could see this and take pleasure in plotting my destruction, bringing me down through deception and lies.

But I have this friend.  He lives in a lofty place and his name is God.  He’s big and he cares about me.  In fact, whenever I’m in trouble, I can go to him and find rest and protection.  He’s my rock and I shall never be moved.

So I don’t fear an enemy.  I may fear FOR him because I know what God is capable of doing to those who pick on his children. But I also know that God is patient and kind.  While he gives my enemy more time to repent, he continues to protect me.

Sometimes I wish he’d just cream the creep. But he usually doesn’t.  I know . . . because I’ve been a creep myself.

SELAH

Look up: Genesis 12:1-3; Luke 12:4-5; Romans 12:17-21; Psalm 31:19; Romans 11:33-34; Isaiah 55:8

1 comment:

  1. Thank you, Julie, for writing these meditations. This one reminds me of a theme highlighted in our Daniel Study: "but there is a God in heaven". How sweet to know He is my rock and my salvation; He is my fortress in every circumstance!

    ReplyDelete