Wednesday, December 30, 2009

The Promise of Peace in 2010

Yesterday I asked the question: What would your life be like without worry or stress?

Can you even imagine a life without worry or stress? Panic seems to be an integral part of the human condition. We sometimes even cling to panic as proof that we're conscious of the state of things. "Well, duh, of course I know the world's a mess. Look at my own life: it's spinning out of control."

Remember a few days ago we talked about Jesus offering peace--not the world's peace, but rather a peace that surpasses understanding. On one occasion He said:

"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened
and I will give you rest.
Take my yoke upon you and learn from me,
for I am gentle and humble in heart,
and you will find rest for your souls.
For my Yoke is easy and my burden is light."
             -Matthew 11:28-30

Jesus offered a supernatural peace, not the world's peace. As a matter of fact, this supernatural peace involves gentleness and humility--not qualities the world prizes. It is gentleness and humility that recognizes our need for God, our need to trust in Him with all our heart and to acknowledge Him as guide of our lives.


If we do that, we will find rest for our souls. Yes, rest and peace will replace our worry and stress. And 2010 will be a very good year!

Can you resolve to let the Lord guide you this year?

2 comments:

  1. YES! I couldn't be in better hands. I resolve with you, Julie-friend - HE will be (and has been) our Guide every step of our pilgrim journey. I resolve also to trust with you in a God Who takes our burdens on Himself all the way to the Celestial City! Wow! (By the way, its great to walk alongside a friend like you!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're on this pilgrim pathway together, dear friend, and I am rejoicing along with you!

    ReplyDelete