Monday, October 5, 2009

A String of Selah Pearls - Psalm 44:6-8

Positioned gracefully across the Book of Psalms is a string of seventy-one pearls, lovely beads of wisdom followed by the admonition SELAH which means, “Pause, think on these things, meditate.”



Psalm 44:6-8 “I do not trust in my bow, my sword does not bring me victory; but you give us victory over our enemies, you put our adversaries to shame. In God we make our boast all day long, and we will praise your name forever. Selah.”


Meditation:


Does anyone not have an enemy? For years, I thought I didn’t. Then the “neighbor from _ _ _ _” moved in next door and, voila, I had an enemy. Kindness failed. I didn’t know what to do.



What were the problems? Oh, nothing much. Just regular attacks by his dog (that’s what started it). Tires flattened. Verbal abuse. Threats to our daughters.


I didn’t want revenge, just wanted the harassment to stop. I contacted lawyers, grievance committees, reconciliation experts. Nothing could be done; the offenses were just (barely) inside the law or could not be proven. My “bow” and my “sword” were useless.


“Lord,” I cried. “Help me!”


“It’s about time you asked,” He must have said. Next thing I knew, there was a moving van in front of the neighbor’s house . . . and then, he was gone. Praise God, he was gone. In God, I make this boast: He kept me from returning evil for evil. I like to think that the neighbor noticed that and, hopefully, became ashamed of his actions, hopefully repented. Someday, I’ll know.


SELAH


Look up: Psalm 20:7; 15:1-3; 37:10-11; Romans 12:17

No comments:

Post a Comment