Monday, September 21, 2009

Positioned gracefully across the Book of Psalms is a string of seventy-one pearls, lovely beads of wisdom followed by the admonition SELAH which means, “Pause, think on these things, meditate.”


Psalm 4:4 “In your anger do not sin; when you are on your beds, search your hearts and be silent. Selah.”


Meditation:

As children, my sister and I were taught to examine our consciences before drifting off to sleep. “How did I live today? What sins did I commit? What do I need to confess?” (It was part of saying good night to God.) Peaceful sleep ensued. O the pure hearts of children!


Life gets complicated as we “mature.” Other things take God’s place in our hearts. Money, power, position, toys, sex, lies, even anger . . . you name it. Sleep no longer comes easily.


Lord, forgive my idolatry. By day and by night, I invite you to occupy the throne of my heart, now and forever. In quietness and in confidence, I examine my conscience . . . and sleep like a baby.


SELAH

Look up: Psalm 36:1-4; 139:17-18; Ephesians 4:26; Jeremiah 17:9; Mark 10:14-15; Isaiah 30:15; 1 Corinthians 11:31

No comments:

Post a Comment